Friday, February 13, 2009

Estelle Bennette 1941-2009


Estelle Bennett, former member of the legendary 60s girl group The Ronnettes and sister of Ronnie Spector, has died at her home in New Jersey at the age of 67. Estelle leant her vocals to the 1964 hit Be My Baby which is regarded by many to be one of the greatest pop songs of all time; John Lennon and Brian Wilson concur. Also, on their track Baby, I Love You, Leon Russell is featured on the Piano and Cher lends her voice to the tune. Their success is mostly attributed to their producer Phil Spector, who was a pioneer of the 60's girls groups. The Ronnettes had a "bad girl" image thanks to their beehive hairdids, dark eye liner, and tight skirts. The 60's girl groups have a great influence on me and its sad when anyone of the greats passes. Estelle you will be missed.


The Ronettes - Be My Baby.mp3
-Purchase their Greatest Hits album via Amazon.com


The Ronettes - Baby I Love You.mp3
Purchase their Greatest Hits album via Amazon.com

and John Lennon's own rendition of Be My Baby.

John Lennon - Be My Baby.mp3
- Taken from John Lennon's Anthology Disc 3.
Purchase via Amazon.com

No comments: